Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Stock up



Just a few thoughts....

Preparing homemade chicken stock is as close as I'll ever get to creating a beautiful painting or designing a gorgeous home. I don't feel too bad because there is something about it that transcends time, in the same way a classic black and white photo will tell a story with similar emotions whether taken in 1900 or 2000. When I'm preparing this stock, I can envision a post-war european finally able to procure meat and herbs to put together a healthful and filling meal. I visualize sturdy homesteaders of the early west using salt like mine to preserve what precious little meat they would have through sweltering heat and bitter winters. When I'm "roughly chopping" the carrots and throwing in handfuls of untrimmed herbs I feel a connection to those who have lovingly and thoughtfully prepared meals for their families for all of time.

Where skill level inhibits my enjoyment of creativity in areas like drawing and painting, cooking has given me license to imagine and explore. Plus who can argue that the satisfaction of a great grilled cheese or a perfectly cooked steak is hard to beat.


2 comments:

  1. that is beautiful. I felt like I was reading poetry. I guess making stock is for more than just the barefoot contessa.
    i love that you put so much joy into cooking. It really is a great talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is definitely something to be said for pure ingredients that can be combined to make something so comforting!!! Maybe you should have your own cooking show. A. Because you are adorable and B. You make it sound so yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete